RE: OD - A-Type - Tough Question on Sun Gear End Float (long)

To: "Anthony Rhodes" <ARhodes@compuserve.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: OD - A-Type - Tough Question on Sun Gear End Float (long)
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 11:22:37 -0500
Tony,

Your a lifesaver.  Just knowing that you had the big end float
problem and that the washers fixed it... is great news.  I guess
I should have replaced them as normal procedure. I had to buy a
new annulus for this OD which made me try to skimp... I guess.

Ed Woods has another way to do the measurement. He uses a
"measuring down the bore" with the shaft out after putting the
whole thing together minus the sliding clutch parts and
tightening down on the case bolts.  You have to use bent feeler
gauges to measure the gap between the steel washer and the front
bronze washer.  With the shaft back in, you can also reach in and
move the sun gear up and down to get a sense of the play.  Neat
idea.

Now to your questions:

>>The OD is a very simple, cool, piece of machinery, no?

I would describe it has a hydraulic grandfathers clock.  Elegant,
but a lot of overkill for a 5th gear.

>>Did you check the float of the annulus in the tail housing?
>>I had too much trouble and gave up on that one.

I tried,  but could not understand how to come up with a reliable
way to check it.  John Esposito said that too little float was
the real problem as this would squeeze the inner races of the
bearings and the side load would wear them out quickly.  He told
me to assemble the rear case, annulus, spacer washer and
coupler... tighten up the big nut and check for a free spinning
assembly.

>>What did you do to reassemble your roller clutch?  I used a big
hose
clamp gently.

I used a thick rubber band like the postman uses.  This worked
for assembly and for removing it later for all these
measurements. To remove... you pull it half way out with your
index finger and slide the rubber band over the rollers. Then out
it comes and ready to go back in.

>>It is possible to get a new bronze steady bush installed
>>and then a machinist can line bore it, but I hate
>>to think of the cost!  I trust that mine is OK.

My steady bushes are worn.  I measured .010 oversize.  They have
that blackish oil film on the mainshaft running surfaces.  The
black oil film can be cleaned off to make them look better... but
I really have no alternative... and will just have to go with
what I have.  I will ask ORS in the UK about this.

What were yours like? Did you measure them.

Thanks again for the help.

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4  CT16260L soon to be "O" - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn
E-Mail: sanborn@net1plus.com