RE:TR3a/TR6 transmission swap

To: "rbtr3a@flintemc.net" <rbtr3a@flintemc.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE:TR3a/TR6 transmission swap
From: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 21:20:59 -0500
Ron,
The transmission will fit, even with the shorter input shaft.  The
difference is the
"nose" of the input shaft which fits into the bush inside the flywheel  It
does not engage as deeply,
but it will work just fine.  I have seen it done!
You will need to use the newer-style starter if you have to old "hooded"
one.
And you need to change the starter ring to make that swap.

-Tony

Message text written by INTERNET:owner-triumphs-digest@autox.team.net
From: "ronald babbitt" <rbtr3a@flintemc.net>
Subject: Tr3a what I learned

HI list

Let me share with you what I have learned today.  If you remember I
requested a few weeks ago the help of the list on identifying the type of
Transmission and overdrive I had just purchased. Which the consensus is
that
it is a early Tr6 or Tr250. When I received the transmission the casing was
damaged during shipping.  Well today I began to task of swapping the top
cover from a spare TRY trans.  Here's what I learned. The reverse selector
in the TRY transmission is different than that of the tr3. When observing
from above if the selector is drawn to the back of the housing the tr3's
selector sits near flush to the case. On the tr6 if selector is drawn to
the rear of the case it has about 3/4 of an inch more material on the back
side of the Yoke(for a better word) of the selector. In addition to
changing
out the top cover gasket, interrupter switch's I also had to swap the
reverse shafts and selector. Tomorrow I plan to spin up this thing on the
bench with a half inch drill to see if the overdrive will engage. I'm still
concerned as to whether or not this transmission will mate to my tr3a since
the bellhousing will sit flat to the ground. Half the list says it will
mate
half says I have to change the input shaft.  I'm so confused<