Re: Mysterious clicking-broken spring

To: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Mysterious clicking-broken spring
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 19:38:01 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>greenman62@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>>  If you've got a compressor You won't even have to remove the head... A
>>  friend of mine knocked out the insulation of a spark plug. He had a
>>  pneumatic quick connect welded on the outside. Once the "plug was in place
>>  on the appropriate cylinder and connected to his air line, he could kept the
>>  valve in place with air pressure while he changed the valve spring on m7y `4
>  > when I broke it, many years ago.

Another one I've heard of is the rope trick.  You feed enough rope to
pack the cylinder near its TDC of travel. Next you gently rotate (by
hand, NOT with the starter!) the piston so that it pushes up against
the valve and holds it in place while you work. removal is the
reverse of the above.
Never tried this myself, but I heard some Model A guys talking about
this method.

Paul Burr