TR7 BFH#36

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: TR7 BFH#36
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 18:25:17 EST
No, I haven't died, nor have I buried the Triumph -- yet....

Weather has been cold and wet, and today was the first day I was able to make
some progress -- I guess you could call it that.

With the engine back in, I started to re-install other parts.  First was the
clutch slave cylinder.  I had to re-thread one of the bolts a while back, and
of course today the other bolt decided it didn't want to hold onto anything
anymore, so the morning passed by as I rethreaded the hole.

Next I went after the alternator which for some reason the pulley would not
line up with the other pulleys.  After comparing it with another alternator I
have, I realized that the fan was much farther away from the case than usual.
 I took it apart and discovered it had a different type of washer/shim behind
the fan than the other alternator which was also off a TR7.  In a few moments
I had swapped washer/shim, re-installed, and now the pulley lines up almost
dead on.  Looks like someone must have scavenged some wrong parts when
repairing the alternator in the past.

Now the crummy news.  The #3 spark plug has always been hard to put in.
Today I hand tightened it, down to about 1/4" away from seating, and it just
plain stopped turning.  Gently using the socket wrench I could get it to turn
a little bit more, but it definitely wasn't going to seat.

I can't imagine that I cross-threaded it by hand, nor can I imagine that it
has never seated correctly since I have owned the car -- but I guess both are
possible.

I used my hand dental mirror to take a look at the threads, and they are a
mess.

So, what's everyone's advice on how to proceed?  Get a tap and try to clean
out the threads?  I think I've seen something about sleeves that you can use.
 And what about little bits of aluminum getting into the cylinder?  Am I
going to need to sneak the vacuum outside again?.....

Inquiring minds await your comments.

As always, thanks...

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC