Re: Advice Required Coil Testing

Subject: Re: Advice Required Coil Testing
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 22:54:35 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Adrian :

The resistance across the two low tension terminals should be about 3
ohms (or 1.5 if the coil takes an external ballast resistor).
Resistance from either low tension to the high tension should be around
7K ohms (slightly higher for 'high performance' coils).  Resistance from
any terminal to the case should be essentially infinite.

Unfortunately, these are only very basic checks.  A bad coil might pass
them.  But a good coil cannot fail them.

Of course, you could take the distributor from your motor (or a spare),
wire it, a spark plug, and a source of 12v DC to your coil, then turn it
with a drill (or even fingers) for a 'live' test ... I've been doing
just that to test a Crane ignition that I'm having trouble with.

If you want to test even further, you could build a small spark gap ...

Randall