Re: TR6 engine reassembly-endfloat

To: econrad@teal.csn.net, TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 engine reassembly-endfloat
From: KTnKT <ktnkt@cape.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 21:12:58 -0500
  Hi Conrad,
                    Not being an authority on the subject, I can only
tell you what I just did on my rebuild. I ended up with .0095" endplay,
so used a .005 thrust washer. This left me at 0045. A bit under the
specs, but I figure the break in will move that a bit into what it
should be, and when my wife drives it and completely ignores my pleas to
not ride the clutch at stop signs, red lights, and hills, then perhaps
that number will better itself.
         The conrods shouldn't be affected by a slight adjustment by
your thrust washer, as the pistons are able to "float" on the wrist pins
at the small end of the connecting rods.
        I didn't use lock washers on my main caps (or rod caps) because
none came off the originals, and the bolts being used had a wider
"flange" already built in.( I have a 76 TR6, BTW ) I also didn't use
loctite, but did clean the bolt threads and block/conrod threads with
sovent. And the most important part, I think, is using the torque wrench
to set things right.
( anyone with more experience may add to or subtract from my
assumptions- like I said, I'm not an authority on this)

 Good Luck, and as Dick T. says--  Have fun !!
  Kevin
  CR55588U + O