TR3 lever shock questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 lever shock questions
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 22:06:02 -0600
Hi all --

It's been a while, but I'm trying to get back in to the restoration
of my '57 TR3.  Specifically, I cleaned up the lever shocks the other
day, and while they're nice and clean, I'm wondering how to go about
refurbishing them.

Where can one get new seals?  I mean the gasket for the top cover,
and the rubber seals for the shock valve.

For shocks that seem to be free from abuse, should this be enough of
a restoration?  Obviously, I won't know for sure until I get it back
on the road, but hearing from anyone who's BTDT would be great.  I
don't mind buying new/rebuilt shocks, but if it's not necessary...

Also, about fill level -- my shocks don't have a place in the cover
to add oil.  They do have a bolt in the side, same side as the shock
arm, just a centimeter or two below the top, that is in a hole that
goes right through the case.  Is this the filler hole?  I guess I
mean, is it appropriate to fill the shocks to the level of that hole?

Thanks folks.

Dan
--
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L.  Needs an O.  Undergoing frame-off restoration
begun 9/99.  Currently awaiting motivation and time from owner.

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U, now with an O too.  In need of a
comprehensive restoration (again), but will have to wait its turn in
storage.

1997 Nissan pickup, a.k.a. Triumph support vehicle.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!