Intermittent noise

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Intermittent noise
From: Iam MacLeod <canada@voyageronline.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 09:04:02 -0400
The recent thread on hubs reminded me of a problem I've been meaning to ask
about.

On my '76 TR6, I hear a clunk from under the car and at the rear under
certain very specific conditions.  When backing out of my garage, I have to
sharply turn the wheels to the left to negotiate a sharp turn in the
driveway.  The driveway has a fairly steep and abrupt rise at this point
that causes the left rear road spring to compress for a moment.  Usually, in
the midst of or just after this maneuver, I hear the clunk.  The only other
time I've heard it was on the road last week, when I let the clutch out
faster than normal to brake at a stoplight.

Things I believe are not causing this:  the diff mounts (they're new); the
clutch or tranny (all components were new to this car 6 months ago when I
installed an OD tranny and the problem existed with the old gear); the
half-shaft splines (they looked to be like new when I had the trailing arms
off and are well greased); the road springs (no signs of binding or wear).
The car is running TRF's too-high HD springs, Goodparts nylatron bushings
and new Apple HD shocks.

Before I put it back up on stands, I just wanted to see if anyone had any
thoughts.

Thanks.

Ian
CF57345U +O