Re: Shaky Spit - Update

To: "TRIUMPH LIST" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shaky Spit - Update
From: "Stephane St-Amant" <steph71tr6@crosswinds.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 13:11:20 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi all,

Thanks for all the responses.  Much appreciated.

Here's what I did so far, jack up the rear, took the wheels off the car,
started the engine (which btw doesn't need carb cleaner to start - problem
was that the choke wasn't closing completly, adjusted the screw and voilą!
Starts like a champ!), put it in third gear and went to take a look at the
back.

Here's what I've found:
- Differential is not shaking at all and quiet. Phewwww!
- Differential flanges are stable (not shaky)
- on BOTH axles, everything vibrates from the u-joints all the way to the
drums!!!

I could believe that one axles could be bent but both of them?  Could the
u-joints cause taht kind of vibration?  I'd like to fix it right now so that
I can enjoy the car (beautiful weekend so far) at more than 35mph!

If the u-joints are unlikely to cause that kind of vibration, I will wait
after the weekend before taking it off the road for a few days to take the
axles out and have them balanced.  In this case, anyone in the Ottawa
(Canada) area knows a good place to have that done?

Once again, thanks for all the help!
Steph
'69 Spit - Hers (On the road but shaky)
'71 TR6 - Mine (In pieces!)