RE: Paint Question

To: "'Mike Quinn'" <Mquinn698@aps.faseb.org>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Paint Question
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 18:46:36 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Mike-
        check the temp rating for the thinner you used,  and double check
the dilution ratio.
        also make sure you were holding the gun close enough to the surfaces
you were spraying, as the fear of causing a run sometimes makes you want to
pull the gun back away from the surface, which, as you hinted, can make the
paint dry 'on the fly' from gun to surface.  When the droplets hit the
surface, they do not have enough thinner left in them to make an optimum
'flow out'.  Also you may consider that too high pressure, spraying too
close will cause the deposited paint to show 'blow around' marks, but this
more often seen in metallic paints.  If you spray properly thinned enamel
around 40 psi at a distance of about 10", you should see some acceptable
results.
However, the best idea is to practice a bit on something useless (neighbors
car?) and experiment with the fan pattern, viscosity, and distance to
target.  Hang in there, you'll get it right...
Bob Westerdale
59 3A TS36967E

Mike wrote->
I just painted the engine compartment, floors and trunk in my TR4A last
week. I came out looking pretty good but I had more orange peel than I think
I should have. I have a Craftsman 5HP air compressor that puts out 9 cfm @
40 lbs and I have the Craftsman Auto paint quality gun that requires 7.2 cfm
at 40lbs. I set the compressor at 40 lbs. The primer went on real smooth but
not the color coat. I've painted before but not with enamal. It seemed to me
that I may have used to much pressure and the paint was drying to quickly.
Or could I have not thinned the paint enough.
Thanks in advance.
--Mike Quinn
67 TR4A - IRS