Re: Flywheel Bolts and Locknuts

To: Graham Stretch <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Subject: Re: Flywheel Bolts and Locknuts
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:50:44 -0600
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>

Graham Stretch wrote:

> Throw the washer away and use red loctite.
> >
> > Phil Ethier
>
> Hi Phil
> I mainly use the Loctite blue, I find it works well and is readily
> dismantleable, why have most recommended the red form, is it incorrect to
> use the blue, I did read the specs some time ago but can't remember the
> differences. I think we have the spec sheet at work, I will try to get a
> copy to check the details. Yes we use the blue stuff at work. 8-()

Loctite has changed the compound colorations over the years, but
currently, blue is medium hold, and the fastener can usually be removed
without applying heat.

Red is for studs and bearings and is a high hold compound, and
sometimes, depending upon the size of the fastener, requires some heat
to remove the fastener.

A couple of decades ago, the green was a sort of yellow-green which was
a light hold for tasks such as fixing carburetor idle screws. Today, the
green is the extreme hold and, while it doesn't say so on the bottle,
usually requires C4 plastic explosives or small tactical nuclear weapons
to remove.

Keep in mind that the holding power of all the above are significantly
improved if the fastener and the mating threads are cleaned and treated
with Loctite primer.

Cheers.

--

Michael D. Porter