Re: TR4 Rear Axle

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Rear Axle
From: "Keith A. Edwards" <kedwards@norfolk.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 17:26:46 -0400
Cc: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@nceas.ucsb.edu>
"Jeffrey J. Barteet" wrote:
SNIP
> To clarify, I'm am interested in BOTH controlling axle tramp and the
> lateral movement of the rear axle.
>
> I believe that Kas Kastner made mention in his tuning manual that for
> racing ( the TR4 ) he highly recommended a linkage assembly that connected
> at the plate that goes underneath the axle and connects to the frame.

I am used to those being called torque tubes, though sometimes they are
known as traction bars.  Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

> This would control the axle tramp of course, but not locate the axle
>laterally.
>
> The lateral control of the axle would be left to the panhard rod or watkins
> link.
>
> Someone mentioned traction bars.  They do neither.  They attempt to shift
> more weight onto the rear axle on your typical American behemoth with a
> 70/30 front/rear weight distribution.
>
> I'd be interested in what those folks autocrossing and \ or roadracing
> their cars have to say on the subject of live axle rear end preparation.
>SNIP

My '62 TR3B (former SCCA race car) came to me with a Panhard rod (with
Hyme (sp?) joints on the ends) and torque tubes (essentially traction
bars) below the frame.  Also the leaf springs had been cut a little, but
just to allow for clearance of the 9.3" Goodyear Blue Streaks.

The rear axle has a Detroit locker, and a 4.3 ratio.

The car had had a rear sway bar, but not since I have had it.

Much of this was as recommended in the Competition Preparation Manual, I
believe.

I can't really comment on how the above has affected handling.  I have
mostly autoxed the car, and haven't had it out since the VTR in
Savannah, GA.  It certainly could be made to overstear, controllably or
not.

Keith Edwards
Suffolk, VA
4.5 TRs