Re: Tr4 Head studs

To: ArthurK101@aol.com
Subject: Re: Tr4 Head studs
From: erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 23:26:58 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: greenman62@hotmail.com, kluckvon@students.uiuc.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Mmdf-warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at mail.virginia.edu
There is no sacro-sanct rule on the head sequencing to torque the head.
Basic rule, stated here:  start in the center, and work as a spiral
outwards to the end.  Try to keep the same pattern.  Take the studs to
about 50 ft-lb, then upwards at about 10 ft-lb per step, until about 90
ft-lb.  Then in 5 ft-lb increments until the 105-110 level.  After you get
to about 70 ft-lb, you want to use a lead or brass mallet and hit the head
on the end, a stout whack, after each torquing.  If you don't have the
mallet, you can use a steel hammer, but put a piece of wood (oak is best)
between.  This relieves stresses in the head.

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000
ArthurK101@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 07-Aug-00 17:57:36 Eastern Daylight Time,
> greenman62@hotmail.com writes:
>
> > You could do it numerically... I don't have my book handy either
> >    however, the trick is to start with the nuts in the middle of the
> >    head (between 2 and 3 cylinders) and work outward to either end of
> >    the head it's kind of like a spiral. I'll try to do you a picture
> >    (see below)
> >
> >           8   6   1   3   9
> >           10  4   2   5   7
> >
> >    I hope it doesn't get too scrambled...
> >

> Greg, that is not the same as either my Haynes or the Factory manual shows.
> My Haynes manual (p.27 fig1.7) and the latter (p.1-127 fig.59) both show:
>
>   9   3   1   6   8
>   7   5    2  4   10
>
> With the upper numbers being the nuts under the rocker arms.  Cheers.
>
> Art Kelly

James A. Ruffner