Re: Spitfire Hardtop

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Hardtop
From: Tom Beaver <beaver@spillmanco.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 12:54:42 -0500
At 08:30 PM 08/01/2000 -0400, you wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I just purchased a 1975 Spitfire and among other treats it came with 2 hard
>tops. One fiberglass and one steel. Both are in excellent shape but have no
>mounting hardware. I would like to be able to use the steel one. Here's my
>question, Do I have to remove the soft top?

No. As I recall you have to take the two retaining bolts out of the rear
metal thingie attached to the soft top and body below the rear window. Roll
the soft top up and move it back in the area behind the seats. After that
the hardtop goes on and is attached to the body by the two bolts you just
removed in the back, two bolts through the front attaching to the front
screen and two bolts on the sides which connect to the body connections via
special hardware. This is a nothing more than a attachment that has a
female end for a bolt to attach to the body connection and a threaded end
which attaches the hardtop. I believe there are extra threaded holes in the
body connector so you don't need to remove the attachments for the soft
top. I always had trouble getting my front bolts started. Don't
overtighten. I'm not sure if the side hardware is available.

Tom Beaver
Indy

 When I look at catalog's they