Re: A few questions for the TR4/TR4A experts

To: "tom_winslow" <tom_winslow@email.msn.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A few questions for the TR4/TR4A experts
From: "Don Sforza" <dsforza@megahits.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 21:21:42 -0400
Cc: <bozo@prodelin.com>
I think I can answer some of these... Art may have to fill in the
blanks.

> Can anyone please tell me:
>
> 1. How may 1965 TR4As were outfitted with the optional rigid rearend
and not
> the IRS?

We need Art on this one, but as I recall, the IRS was an exception,
rather than the rule in the US

> 2. Were there any rigid rearend TR4As in the later years (1966, 1967)
> produced (until they ran out of inventory on the TR4 chassis)?

Actually, the 4A chassis is quite different from the 4. The both the
live axle and the IRS system were fitted interchangably to the 4A
chassis. The 4A setup for the live axle is NOTHING like the '4 (which
actually is exactly like the '3 with the exception of the wider track on
the '4). The live ax;e was shipped stateside because the dealers didn't
think the IRS would sell. (For much the same reason there was a 3B here
and nowhere else... dealer nervousness).

> 3. How many of the 1961 TR4s were vactually titled as 1962s?

Lots I suspect. I have a friend in the hartfor area who owns a titled
1962 TR4 and a 1963 TR3B... go figure.

> 3. The TR4 had the rack and penion steering and the TR3 had the worm
gear
> type steering. Were there any early TR4s produced using the TR3 type
worm
> gear steering?

No.