Re: TR owners VRS Jag owners. My over due view

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR owners VRS Jag owners. My over due view
From: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 11:23:33 -0700 (PDT)
Three Cheers!!!

I'm hip!!!

AMEN!!!

My dad bought a '96 XJ6, a lovely car--don't get me
wrong--but he bought it for the luxury and looks. I
broke the antenna off it in a car wash the only time I
borrowed it! He cringed and said well, that's okay, a
couple hundred bucks'll get a new antenna installed...

I called my used lbc parts supplier (a guy here in
Michigan) and he shipped me a brand new "mast" which I
installed in about 3 minutes at a grand total of
$28.00!

So I saved a ton of money right? Yet he looks down his
nose at my 30 year old (real) sportscar because the
paint's chipping here and there. He just doesn't
appreciate the pleasure of, much less the the ability
to maintain and drive a simple fun car...

I actually got out of my GT6 at a stop sign after
dropping my kids off at school, to ask the guy in the
minivan behind me why he had to brake torque (remember
how to brake torque an automatic?) his little van just
3 inches from the rear of my car. He didn't even roll
down his window to talk to me!!!

...okay...sorry, I feel better now ;^)

John Donohoe
'70 GT6+ KC81718
(it really is a humble little car)

--- Thearthurhsmith@cs.com wrote:

> I didn't want to enter the fray but. In all auto
> groups you have the not so
> much motor heads maybe but the kind of guy (or gal)
> who at least are
> interested in the nuts and bolts aspect. Then there
> is the person who will
> take the bucket O' parts to a resto shop and say
> "fix" without asking how
> much.
>
> This kind of thread came up in the Jag list a while
> back and there is a
> definite segmentation of car people. For instance
> take hot rod owners there
> are the buildum them selves and there are the turn
> key buyers who buy a super
> hot rod by Boyd and win the trophies and brag and
> show them off.
>
> So from my view point there are:
>
> the motor heads    That's most of us
>
> then there are the car lovers    buy a car because
> its beautiful, drive it
> and have a mechanic fix it because they are
> mechanically challenged.
>
> Then there are the "posers and tossers" (Jag list
> term?)   the best example
> is the TV ad for the Jag S type with Sting. See him
> sitting in the back seat
> so  F'ing bored. To them its not the car and the
> beauty and mechanicals its
> how much F'ing money it cost. That's why there are
> so many SUVs around, they
> cost more to buy, they cost more to run, they are
> dangerous at the speeds
> they are driven and
>

> OOOOOps I was jumping up and down so much my soap
> box broke.

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com