Re: Cleaning Fuel Tank

To: William Hooper <rotoflex@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Cleaning Fuel Tank
From: "James A. Ruffner" <erl@virginia.edu>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 12:41:53 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Muriatic acid is simply an industrial grade of hydrochloric acid, versus reagent
grade.  It is an excellent steel cleaner, but treacherous to use on cars.  IF it
seeps into seams, you will never get it out, and it will open the seam.  Only
use where you have large, open surfaces.   Best neutralization is with a baking
soda solution, followed by water.  However, this will leave an extremely thin
coat of rust (you see it as a very pale golden-brown colorization.)

Muriatic acid is good primarily only for deep rust.  After the deep rust has
been completely removed by the muriatic acid, then neutralize, and follow with
metal-etch solution, which can be purchased from any auto paint supplier.  Metal
etch is a phosphoric acid solution that gives the metal a microscopic porous
surface and also is highly stable, and rust resistant.  After this, follow with
a high quality primer.

Cheers.