TR6: Bottom End Rebuild Q's

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6: Bottom End Rebuild Q's
From: "Martin A. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 15:37:06 -0400
Hey folks:

My TR6 has low oil pressure and a bearing knock at hot idle.  I've
undertaken a bearing/oil pump/TW rebuild.

Q #1:  How does one remove the metal bridge on the sump face that
supercedes the #1 main bearing?  Aside from two screws, it's wedged in
with metal shanks.  I'm hesitant to try prying too hard to get this
piece off so I can get at the #1 main bearing.

Q#2:  When I removed the #4 main bearing, I could not find the bottom
thrustwasher!  And it's not sitting in the sump, either.  How the hell
did this happen? Very strange. All I can think is that the PO or his bad
mechanic had the sump off, saw this washer in there, and tossed it.

Possibly as a result of this condition, the #4 main journal has a very
slight ridge on it. (All the other journals are in good shape.)  My plan
here is to renew all the shells, and the oil pump, to get the car
through perhaps another year before I yank the engine for a complete
rebuild.  Am I headed for trouble with this slight ridge on #4 main?  Or
can I get by with it for a while?

--
Martin Secrest
72 TR6