Re: Softening old windshield seals

To: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Softening old windshield seals
From: Barry J Hammel <bluesky@execpc.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 10:35:15 -0500
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Barry

Many years ago I purchased a one quart plastic bottle of Indian Head (Chief
Permatex) Clear rubber lubricant - concentrate.  Made by Permatex Co, Kansas
City
Kansas.  Part No. 60E.

Instructions said to mix 3:1 with water.   Uses listed as follows:   1.
Preserves and lubricates rubber shackles, grommets, pads, mounts, etc.  Apply
with spray can. It is stainless.  2.  Mounting and demounting tires  3.
Restoring rubber surfaces: Lube with a brush or cloth.

I have done the brush/cloth routine on a '68 Mustang convertible that spent time
in the sun.  Softened the trunk gasket for example.  I used a 2:1 or 3:1 mix.
Soaked all surfaces numerous times over several days.  It DID not return it to
original, BUT it did soften and made it more pliable and resilient.

I bought this 10-15 years ago at Whitlock Automotive in Wisconsin.  I have not
seen this on the market but have not searched that diligently.  Still have a
good
half a bottle left  :-)

Cheers,  Barry