Re: Softening old windshield seals

Subject: Re: Softening old windshield seals
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 08:07:45 -0700
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Barry :

I don't know of any "magic bullet", but I've had reasonable success with
ordinary household silicone spray.  Check the can and be sure it DOESN'T
contain methylene chloride.  Spray it on heavy enough to leave some on
the surface, and repeat over several days until the rubber won't absorb
any more.  Then wipe off the excess.

However for your rear window, I'd be inclined to look for a similar
gasket, and edit it to fit with a razor blade.  Cut it a little
oversize, so the ends are jammed together, then coat the ends with a
little contact cement.

Randall