Re: IRS rear hub

To: Tony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Subject: Re: IRS rear hub
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 10:06:23 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi,

I'm sorry I was unclear... the "big nut" in my original post referred to
the large 1-1/8" hex nut visible on the wheel side of the assembly. The
other nuts used to adjust the total end float could therefore be called
the "big nutS". ;-)

Anyway, I don't have an exploded diagram of the hub assembly in front of
me right now, but I recall that the duty of the collapsable spacer is to
press the outer hub, or drive flange against the inner bearing (and
consequently against the "adjusting spacer" and then the adjusting nuts.

The general point that I was making is that loosening the 1-1/8" nut (or
tightening, for that matter) can change this critical dimension and thus
cause problems... if it's too loose, then the inner bearing will spin and
score the stub axle, if it's too tight, then the bearings will run hot
until they fail.

Once again - tread carefully if you do this job, but it is best left to
the pros.

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |