RE: Tr3a Wipers

To: "'Bill Taylor'" <Tmade96@erols.com>, Triumphs <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tr3a Wipers
From: Christopher Ball <cball@oct.on.ca>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 08:41:48 -0400

>  My confusion lies in the fact that my
> Lucas wiper motor has three terminals, labeled "1", "2" & "E". Which two
> are used and why are there three?
          Bill Taylor

        Now Bill, you've uncovered one of the least know features of the
TR3A, dropped when the 3B came out, and never to return again. It's
mentioned in my first edition factory service book and then quietly dropped
from even that publication. These wiper motors are now quite rare and
trading amongst the cognoscenti goes on in the darkest corners of the hobby.

        You have the "two way exhaust valve" equipped wiper motor my friend,
and don't trade it for any amount of money. It's not really a valve and it
does both exhaust and intake, but in typical British fashion it holds this
enigmatic name.

        I won't get too technical, but basically the factory used this easy
to access port as the input device for the smoke in your wiring harness.
Since electrically problems were more common back then it providing the
mechanics with an easy way of replacing the smoke after major component
failures. It also, as the name implies, acted something like a zener diode
and exhausted surplus smoke in the event of overcharging and voltage
regulator misfunctions.

        Older TR3s can often be seen to emit small quantities of smoke after
a long run with no lights on, and the members of the inner circle just nod
at each other knowingly.

        Is this a fascinating hobby or what, eh?!