TR4 Panel Kit fro Moss - Product Evaluation

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Panel Kit fro Moss - Product Evaluation
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 20:41:53 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Listers,

There are often questions asked about what is the best interior
kit for our TRs.  I just received my TR4 Panel Kit from Moss and
must report, with disappointment, that it will be returned
tomorrow.  I have been on business and it came while I was away.
I ordered because TRF was not shipping my 7 month old backorder
and I was desperate.  This is the first time I have ever had the
same part on order from Moss and TRF (feel guilty) but the Moss
interior discount was too much ignore.

Back to the story.  The kit was very complete... however the
vinyl patterns that are supposed to "welded" in on the hoodstick
cover, quarter panels and door panels... are done with dark-gray
course stitching instead. This was a lame attempt to capture the
original design without the vinyl welding. The pieces have a very
"flat" look because of the lack of or very little foam behind the
leatherette to give depth and texture.  The vinyl is also not as
"black" as it should be and the white beading is off-white creamy
color and has a texture... not original.   The door panels are
also missing the roll of leatherette on the top of the map
pocket. Also, on one of the door panels the stitching is not
straight, but very wavy. A minor point is that there was no wheel
well foam included.

The kit might satisfy someone who is not looking for
originality.... but the course stitching is so cheesy that I
would not use it under any circumstance.  It is with major regret
that I find myself returning this and must say that I almost
always get very high quality stuff from Moss... so I was
surprised.

I will have to bank on TRF shipping the stuff I ordered back in
Sept '99. Last time I called they said in a couple of weeks...
hang in there.... maybe I'll get lucky.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site