Internet Business

To: Triumph Newsgroup <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Internet Business
From: jmwagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:58:27 -0800
Hello all...

In less than 7 days, I have had to issue stop payments on two internet
related transactions (almost $900.00 total!) ... separate people... each
as the result of some amount of misrepresentation and even a layer of
fraud.

Relax... neither was Triumph related...  One was car related, however,
and the other was E-bay related.  In the past, I have had some problems
with Triumph related purchases, over the net, but generally, little
money was lost, and it usually it all came down to a failure to
communicate, rather than evil intentions.

Nevertheless, I have not found a need to issue a stop payment on a check
in over 20 years.   And now, I find myself doing it twice!!  I believe
it is a sign of the times.  We're not alone in here, ladies and
gentlemen...  there are dishonest people flocking to the net.  It's not
a sudden revelation on my part, there are bad apples in every bunch,
even on the net from the start,  but it is my belief, supported by crime
statistics I've seen on TV lately,  that the use of the internet, for
fraud, is beginning to blossom.

Some suggestions:

1.  Do your homework.  RESEARCH what you are buying.  When not your
expertise, find someone that knows about it, etc.

2.  When purchasing from someone that is doing a service, check
references, if you do not know them.

3.  Where at all possible, use charge cards.... for payment... Since
this will leave you with more leverage for getting your money back if
there's a problem.  (Obviously, safeguard your credit... and use due
diligence.  Just remember that the bank, by law, will help you with a
fraudulent credit card purchase, but if you wrote a check, you're on
your own!)

4.  Create paper trails for all your transactions and communications.
If you send something, get a proof of mailing, etc.

5.  Follow your instincts, if they go foul... they are probably right.

If an e-bay/auction purchase....

a.  Do everything you can to research the seller.  Look at comments.
Review comments...  are they all for items under $5.00, but  you're
buying an item that is $500.00?   Are all the comments from relatively
new people with few comments of their own?  etc.

b. Look at your auction... were any of the competing bidders
suspicious?  (possible accomplices or shadow accounts of the seller...
driving up the price?)

c. . ASK seller every question that comes to mind.  I am finding that a
lot of sellers somehow can live with themselves... if they just withhold
obvious information.  Example... they will leave out details in their
description that would CLEARLY affect another's valuation of the
object.   "Antique"  should really be "Reproduction of Antique", or
"Rust Free" should read "No Rust visible from the outside, but support
structures are riddled with rust."  and so on.   Yet... if you simply
ask the question... they may answer without pause, straight and
honest..  But if you feel like your question was avoided and not
answered... then warning flags should go up!

d.  Don't be afraid to e-mail other bidders.  There is no rule that says
you can't communicate with people.  I happened to mail another bidder
and he saved me from what turned out to be, in my opinion, outright
fraud.

I'm sure there are other suggestions to be made... I think this is a
worthy thread or anyone to add their ideas.  On the lighter side...

BE Patient with internet business.

Don't always assume the worst, just be careful.

Don't "flame" anyone, in any public forum (such as a newsgroup), unless
you are positive that an evil has been done and is not going to be
relieved.

I have never received a bad check from a Triumph customer... selling
gaskets and more... and with few exceptions, have found business within
our community a pleasant experience.   I'm just offering a heads-up.

--Justin Wagner