RE: gas prices - YIKES!

To: "'Andy Dixon'" <amdixon@erols.com>, LaJoMor@aol.com, spitdrvr@camalott.com, Laura.G@141.com, reid.w.simmons@intel.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net, Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: gas prices - YIKES!
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:35:01 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Andy said>
Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see it at 97 cents again but having paid
European prices in the past we ought to save them the bellyaching (besides,
they are probably laughing at all the cry babies over on this side of the
pond). Our salaries are generally higher and our cost of living lower. We
have absolutely nothing to cry about.
Nomex suit on and zipped up tight.
Andy
unsnip<

Consider, if you will, the average distance traveled as part of a daily
work commute by European workers.  I worked for Philips (Holland based
company)
in a US office, and the Dutch were always amazed at how far we Americans
drive
everyday to/from work.  Although Europe pays a higher price/volume of gas,
the longer distances we have to travel to earn a living in the US does
indeed
serve to balance ( to some degree) the proportion of our income that we (in
the US)
spend on fuel. I'd be interested to see some  statistics on worldwide
commuter
travel...   I drive about 20 miles each way, and consider myself lucky.  My
brother drives
about 50 miles each way, this is not unusual in the NY Metro area.  Your
thoughts?
Bob Westerdale