Re: Re; Springs and ShoX

To: Tim Cheatham <tcheat@swbell.net>
Subject: Re: Re; Springs and ShoX
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:04:06 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Tim Cheatham wrote:

> RML,

Tim,

I cc'd back the Triumphs lists... heaven knows that they need some
technical content there from time-to-time...

> I was following this thread on the internet because I'm about to do the same
> to my TR6.  What wheels/tires do you have on yours, and have you had any
> clearance problems with the lowered car?  Did you add a rear sway bar?

Ummm, no problems with interference.

I have two references:

1. CarWon, a street driven '74 TR6: I run 215/70-15 Michelins on stock TR6
rims. The Moss springs lower the car about 1 inch. The rear has no
clearance problems. The front has a minor rubbing at full steering lock,
the inside front edge of the tire rubs the sway bar a little bit. It's no
big deal, though. I also have seen a situation where if I back-up the car
up a _steep_ incline at full steering lock, I can get some tire rub on
the upper-rear part of the fender opening. Once, I shaved some tire off,
but my remedy was to stop dating that woman... ;-)

Note: I also autox that car pretty regularly - the autox tires are
225/55-15 Hoosier DOT radial tires on 5.5 inch American Racing 4-spoke mag
wheels with a 1/4 inch spacer. Those tires don't rub except for the
previously mentioned slight rubbing on the front sway bar at full steering
lock.

I use an Addco 7/8 front bar and an Addco 3/4 rear bar.

2. Khartu - the race car: I run 23X9X15 slicks. The wheels are 7 inch
Revolutions with a 3.75 inch back space. I have no idea about rubbing or
interference with at that setup - it has yet to turn a wheel in anger, so
to speak. That car uses the GoodParts front and rear bars... I put those
in because they are adjustable - it was kind of a logical step up for me.

That car is currently lower than the street car, but that mostly due to
the fact that the tires are only 23 inches tall as opposed to 26.5 inches
for the street car. I intend to lower the car and additional 1 to 2
inches by "playing" with the springs. The biggest problem with going
"that low" (the frame will come out to be about 3 inches off the ground)
is that in the rear there are issues with the rear bump stops being too
close to the trailing arm, but I've devised several ideas to remedy that
problem and will probably write something to the Triumphs list or VTR
when I get it all done.

With the tire/wheel combo that I have on that car, the tires stick-out
beyond the fender line... but that fenders will only be an issue when I
get the car the additional 1 to 2 inches lower and I'll hazard a guess that
at 1 inch lower I'll have no problem but I might have issues when I get
to be 2 inches lower - but I can always fix that with _stiffer_ springs!

One last note on the rear sway bar thing - you need to realize that the
rear bar can make the car really "tail happy". You need to keep the idea
of "system balance" in mind when playing with sway bars. If you drive on
the street - keep in mind that in the wet, the car can be a real handful
when you approach "the limit". It does make for some interesting comments
by passengers when you do find "the limit".

But it is fun!

Yeeeee-ha!

> Thanks,
>
> Tim Cheatham

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |