Brake Master Cylinder

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake Master Cylinder
From: "Dave Lee" <davelee1@home.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 11:17:21 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello all!
Just got back from a late night mini ride around the block.  =)
My brake master cylinder has been leaking.  I kept putting rebuilding it off
since I didnt want to give up driving it.  Today I went out and tried to
pinpoint exactly where it was leaking from.  I sat in the parking lot
pumping the pedal like a mad man and no leak!  I thought I wasnt pumping
hard enough so I repeated for a couple more minutes  and still no leak!

I drove it around for a while.  Since theres only three holes in the
cylinder I figured it must somehow be coming out the top.  Sure enough it is
leaking out from under the cap.  I checked the cap and it does have a rubber
seal.  I made sure it was threaded correctly and tight.  Also cleaned off
the seal and cap.  Still leaking!  Do the seals get flattened after years
and need to be replaced? should the seal be air tight?  The rubber seal
looks like its in good condition and I think I should get a new cap as well.
But is there a different problem I might be facing?  Even with a less than
perfect seal I cant imagine the fluid coming out from under the cap unless
theres some pressure forcing it out.  Then again I guess there really isnt
such a thing as a less than perfect seal.

Thanks
David