TR3 - Installing Head studs.

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: TR3 - Installing Head studs.
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 07:39:46 -0500
Hi Folks,
Is there a proper technique for installing cylinder head studs?
As I'll be putting in new studs, nuts and washers, I don't want to mess it
up.

A "double-nut" method is used in the Haynes manual - it shows two
spanners/wrenches being used.

Do you just spin two nuts down the stud and install by tightening on the
top one, at the same time gripping the lower one with a wrench?
Is the first nut spun all the way to the bottom of the threads?
Is Loctite used on the threads going into the block?
How tight?
When the head goes on, is Locktite used on the nuts?
What's the current thinking on " rechecking the torque after 500 miles" or
"retorquing after its warmed up and cooled down"?
Am I thinking too much?

Many Thanks,  Adrian (Anxiously waiting on news from machine shop re. head)