Re: Machine shop work

To: "Douglas Frank" <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Subject: Re: Machine shop work
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 21:26:52 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "List Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Douglas
Can't help with the bs number (though there are probably several materials
that would meet that spec) but 60-62 on the Rockwell C scale should damn
near put flats on the teeth of your file, I would think that one must have
missed the hardening treatment. The other thing to note is it says hardness
depth 0.75mm before grinding, in round numbers that is 0.030" or 30 thou, if
you then bear in mind to get the less than 0.0015" or 1 1/2 thou  run out in
the overall length they (most manufacturers) would leave 0.010" to grind to
reduce the risk of scrap due to distortion during heating. Hey presto
instantly you loose 1/3 of the hardness thickness, though 0.020" should be
reasonably good for the task in hand.

Graham.