Re: Sound Isulation for Timing Chain Cover ?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sound Isulation for Timing Chain Cover ?
From: bstinocher@unipres.com
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 10:36:53 -0600

I'll pipe in with a question: What is that stuff made of? Is it really
necessary. I have part of it on my 250 cover. If I need to put something there
to keep some of that noise out (I have to imagine that driving with the top down
and the muffler system that a TR should have, this area will be the least of my
worries when it comes to noise), what would you guys recommend? Or just not
worry about it at all?

Thanks.

Bryan

cc:   triumphs@autox.team.net (bcc: Bryan D Stinocher/UNIPRES)

John Gillis wrote:

> A few days ago there was a thread about sound insulation for the timing chain
> cover on a TR3.  I checked the timing covers that I have laying around and
> the insulation was either removed or was never on.  I am trying to restore my
> car as original as possible, so I have a few questions on this subject.
>
> 1.  Was this used on all models, mine is a 59 TR3A TS 58399?
> A> Any unrestored Triumph had this, including all the Herald, Spitfire,
> 2000 and TR range

John :

I'm no authority on originality, but I have worked on at least 10
unrestored pre-TS60000 TR3/A engines, and not a single one had the sound
deadening material.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO