Re: Triumphs USENET Newsgroup?

To: mgendron@speakeasy.net
Subject: Re: Triumphs USENET Newsgroup?
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.uofs.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 12:27:50 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
According to Mark Gendron:

There is a whole FAQ on this subject alone.  But in simple terms, someone
propose the creation of the group/hierarchy in a group intended for that
purpose.  (A good charter of the purpose and function of the group should
be available at that point.)  The first phase is Call for Discussion where
people throughout USENET discuss the pros and cons of creating the group.
This is mostly to see if there is suitable interest in the subject.  Next
a vote taker is selected (there are disinterested parties who handle this
in most cases) and a call for votes goes out.  There must be over a certain
number of votes with a required ratio of yes/no votes.  If it passes, the
message that will create the group/hierarchy will be sent out by someone
recognized by the worldwide News Admins as a legitimate group creator.
And from there, the group just grows.

That's it in a nutshell.  If people are truly interested I can either
provide a pointer to the FAQ or send it to the mailing list.

There is no reason why the newsgroup and the mailing list can not co-exist,
even as totally separate entities.  Just as both have their dis-advantages,
so too they both have advantages.

All the best.

bill

--