re: Removing TR3 Crank?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Removing TR3 Crank?
From: Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 08:53:59 -0500
Cc: gprtech@frontiernet.net

>Has anyone done this with the engine in the car? It looks like I can
>remove the transmission and then get the access I need. Is this true? Do
>I need to remove the front clip and radiator?

The engine front cover must be removed in order to get to the timing chain.
The timing chain must be removed before the crank can come out. To remove
the front cover, the fan assy and hub must be removed. There is a long bolt
holding this hub and fan assembly onto the crankshaft. The hub will require
a puller to break it loose.  There is not enough clearance to remove the
bolt or to get a hub puller in there without removing the radiator.
Removing the radiator is very difficult without removing the front cap (I
remember seeing some posts in the past --- removing the front cap was
recommended before attempting to remove the radiator.) With the front cap
removed, you might as well go ahead and remove the engine and tranny
together (as another lister suggested). In the long run, this'll make the
job much easier and really won't take much more time (if any). The parts
will be much more accessible with the engine removed, and the tranny will
be easier to mate with the engine if this is done out of the car.

Jeff Williamson
Belleville, MI
'58 TR3A
'60 TR3A