TR6 PI

To: Jason Sherlock <jason.sherlock@birdstep.com>
Subject: TR6 PI
From: Tony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 20:33:38 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jason,

I too have a US-spec TR6, and am undertaking the conversion to PI at this
time..  Although it sounds pretty straightforward, it is more complicated
that it seems, so if you do go down that path, be prepared for a lot of
work (and a lot of do$h expended).

I picked up a complete PI system, from the tank filter, Lucas pump,
metering unit, distributor drive system, manifold, plenum, air filter from
a Triumph enthusiast in the UK.  The came from a Mk II 2500 saloon.  If
you're interested, I'll dig out his phone number for you.

If you get the unit, you will need to get it preped for u/l fuel - don't
believe the guff about lead being needed as a lubricant for the shuttle; it
isn't, but the u/l will quickly take the butyl seals out.  You can have it
rebuilt for about GBP200, or get the u/l spec seals for GPB100 and do it
yourself (for which you will need the Lucas training manual - available as
a reprint).

The most perplexing bit, however, isn't to do with the PI unit; it's to
make from first principles a LHD PI accelerator pedal!  The carb one won't
work without considerable modification, and you can't get a LHD PI pedal
anywhere.  I've got the drawings and the info on that one too (with very
grateful thanks to Jean Roulleaux).

Tony Gordon

>One last thought. How good of an idea would it be to hop over to
>England and try to locate a fuel injection system for the car?

    Anthony Gordon                      Technology Education Coordinator
    Saginaw Public Schools              tel: 1-517-797-4855
    ISDC, 1505 Ottawa Blvd              fax: 1-571-797-4778
    Saginaw, MI 48602, USA              email: tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us