Re: painting manifolds and EFI

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: painting manifolds and EFI
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 06:00:17 -0800
>Powder-Coat both as they should be, one time lasts a liftime, not even
>thinking of how nice and clean they stand-out under the bonnet.  "FT"
********************************
Since this is the second reference to this I thought I would point out -
The above excerpt was referring to an intake and/or exhaust manifold, and
while powder coat would be fine for an intake, the exhaust manifold would,
in normal operation, get much too hot for powder coating.  You need
something that could withstand closer to 1000-1200 degrees to properly coat
an exhaust manifold.  Powder coating in it's current form is only good for
about 400-450 degrees, it's curing temperature.  I don't know exactly what
your powder coated exhaust manifold would look like after extended usage,
but I would bet it wouldn't be pretty -

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)