Re: Help with TR3 Silentbloc bush

To: "Allen, Warren" <Warren.Allen@infores.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Help with TR3 Silentbloc bush
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@borg.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 20:56:46 -0500
Allen,

When I replaced my silent-bloc bushings about 2 years ago, I used a hack saw to
saw the bushing almost to the steering rod.  Place the rod in a vice, take the
blade off your hacksaw, place the blade through the steering rod, replace blade
on saw and saw the remaining bushing almost to the steering rod. Use plenty of
cutting oil.Then with a small chisel, I hammered the edge of the steel bushing
until it loosened and came right out. Replacing the new bushings was easy, Just
tap them in with a socket the same diameter as the bush.

"Allen, Warren" wrote:

> Help!
>
> I'm working on my front end, and have removed the silentbloc holding the
> steering drop arm to the steering rod.  Or, to be more specific, I've
> removed the center bolt and the rubber bush.  But I can't remove the metal
> cylinder  that used to form the outside part of the old silentbloc from the
> hole in the steering rod.  I've tried making a puller with a large socket, a
> long bolt, a couple of nuts,  and several appropriately-sized washers, but
> all I've done is bend the washers.  Is this supposed to be hard to get out?
> Any ideas about what to do?  While on the subject, how does the silentbloc
> work?  It's a cylinder without a cap, so what keeps it from being pulled
> through the hole in the steering arm? Thanks for all your help.

The silent block bushing should have a welded cap on the bolt that is in the
center of the bushing. This welded cap and bolt is part of the bushing which
attaches either to the steering box or the idler arm. If your silent loc bushing
doesnt have the bolt with the welded cap, then send the part back, and re-order
from TRF or MOSS.

Bob Labuz
1958 TR3A
1974 T140V