Re: Lucas fuses

Subject: Re: Lucas fuses
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 14:44:15 -0800
Cc: stag-digest@digest.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
George Richardson wrote:

> The problem with the US system is that it's not clear at what point the fuse
> will blow. A 15 amp US fuse will not blow at 15.5, 16 or even necessarily 20
> amps.

The same thing is true of a British 30 amp fuse...

Actually, I think you will find that all US spec fuses have a "minimum
blow current", it's just not printed on the fuse, and varies with
different fuse types and with overload interval (and temperature).  For
instance, AGC type fuses (which are a fast acting type, frequently used
in cars) are rated to blow in 4 hours at 110% load, 1 hour at 135% load,
and 2 minutes at 200% load (all at 25C).

I found a nice substitution chart on the jag-lover's site :

Simon S. Johnson sends the following data: "...the source: a 1974
edition of "Buss Fuse Car and Truck List" which has on the back cover a
section call "Foreign Car Fuse Replacement Data," -- foreign to the US,
that is. It states that "English standards differ from US standards.
This accounts for difference in ampere ratings." Then it provides a
list:

English Type    Buss Replacement
50 amp          AGC 30
35 amp          AGC 25