Steering Wheel Reconditioning

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Wheel Reconditioning
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 22:55:50 -0800charset="Windows-1252"
I finally found a 14.5" TR6 steering wheel in a junk yard this afternoon.
It's in good, restorable condition, I think, especially since I'll be
painting the spokes black (to simulate my 15" '72 wheel).  The spokes have
some minor rust along the back edges of the spokes and a few surface spots
(and micro-bubbles) in front.  The spokes appear to be stainless steel, but
I don't know the actual material.  The leather rim feels smooth and supple,
but is quite dry and dull in appearance.  The wheel has been out in the
weather for some time, right there in the open car.  I talked the guy down
to $15, so I haven't got much to lose if I can't bring it back to concours
shape!

(1) What would be a good procedure for preparing the spokes for painting,
and
(2) What product or products should I use to recondition the leather rim?
(For starters, I was going to clean it with saddle soap, but my wife said,
"Phil, you don't know a thing about dried-out leather, and you can let it
sit for one more night until you get some expert advice!")