Carbs and high idle <previously "Altitude and Carbs">

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carbs and high idle <previously "Altitude and Carbs">
From: "econrad" <econrad@teal.csn.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:32:19 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Radley, Jack" <JackR@SHRIVERCO.COM>
Jack,

Dumb question, but regarding the high idle - 2000 rpm.  Have you (or someone
else) recently rebuilt the carbs?  The reason I ask is - well, I rebuilt
mine and caused a similar problem with the idle.

*I'm not proud of what follows, but in the interest of carburetor science,
I'm swallowing my pride:*

When I rebuilt my Zenith Stomberg carbs, I replaced all seals, gaskets,
float valves, .....  To properly clean the bodies, I removed the butterflies
and the throttle shafts.  Once the carburetors were VERY clean, I
reassembled and mounted them.

Well, my lack of power problem was solved - as now all six cylinders were
receiving fuel - rather than only three.  However, I now had an idle problem
that caused the car to run an idle between 1500 and 2000, depending on the
temperature of the engine chamber.  Hotter engine = higher idle.  After
adjusting everything possible (idle adjustment screws, fast idle adjustment,
needles, ...., I removed the carbs and took them to a friend who knew far
more about British cars than I do.

After hearing my explanation of the problem, he asked how I put the
butterflies back on?  Since I was not aware that the butterflies had a
"toward engine block" side, I had a 50:50 chance to get it right.  Sure
enough, statistics proved themselves again.  One carb was correct, the other
had the butterfly reversed.  Due to this error on my part, the butterfly did
not seat entirely, which allowed more air, and thus more fuel into the
cylinders - viola, high idle.  To show me this, he used a flashlight (torch)
to shine through the carb throat.  We looked from the other side and it was
obvious by the amount of light at the sides of the butterfly that it wasn't
sealing well.  My friend told me that the most light you want to see around
the butterfly is similar to that of a total solar eclipse.  In other words,
you want to see balanced light all around the outside  of the butterfly.

After this fix, I had to readjust the carb screw settings - as I had really
caused some out-of-adjustment issues when I was originally trying to get the
problem solved.  Once corrected, the car idles at 900 rpm and runs like a
champ.

While I don't intend to say this is your problem, it was mine when I
experienced similar problems as what you describe.

Another thing to check on might be your throttle linkage having too much
tension, thereby causing the throttle butterflies to open without the gas
peddle being pushed.

Good luck!!

Eric
Denver, CO