Another VTR Story long Part 2

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Another VTR Story long Part 2
From: Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov (Bud Rolofson)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 19:25:28 -0400
Glad I took Henry Frye's advice and took it easy "since I had to drive all the
way back to Denver"....OK so it only lasted until I got to the starting line.
Thanks to Bob Danielson for only taking pictures of me when I was ON the course
(BTW his wife is a sweetheart and his 6 is too).  Fred Thomas gave me a
compliment by saying "that's horse****" when Michael Ferguson told him it was my
first time autocrossing.  Of course that was before my last run which resulted
in me trying to spell out Yokohama in rubber in the slalom.  Thanks also to
Fred, Joe Worsley and the guys from Team Fat for teaching a rookie about tire
pressures for autocrossing.

Got to the auction late on Thursday night but still picked up a NOS tonneau
cover (perfect condition but with a musty smell) for $60.  Keith Ehrlich let me
use his bidding number which was the only way you could keep Mr. Deep Pockets
from outbidding you.  That VTR banner will be worth it someday Keith.   I want
to know if ANY one else brought a spare radiator to VTR besides Keith?  Although
it turns out he was right and could have used it when his radiator started
leaking on Saturday, if his wife hadn't already gone home with it.

It was heartening to see that Dan Masters has learned some basic electronic
trouble shooting techniques from the rest of us on the list.  When his hazard
relay went on the frizz he banged on it with his fist just like the rest of us
do when ever we have an electrical problem.  It was a Kodak moment unfortunately
no one had a camera.  And it seemed to work, the hazard lights started flashing
after enough banging and thumping.  I don't think Dan has a schematic for that
method, but he always surprises me so.........

On Sunday went up Mt. Washington with Tim Hutchisen and Phil Barnes.  Hopefully
next year it'll be all three at the top of Mt. Hood in Portland and Mt. Evans
the year after that.  Drove some great winding roads with Tim and Phil through
Maine, NH, Vermont, and NY which was one thing I really had wanted to do.  They
were scootin down those roads and I was doing my best to keep their taillights
in view.

Phil and I then drove that PM towards Albany where we split up with Phil heading
for home and me going west another 100 miles and checking into a hotel around
11:30 PM.  Made it to Columbus, Ohio the next day and to St. Louis the day after
that.

Saw a horrible car accident east of Indianapolis happen about 30 seconds ahead
of me.  You just never know.  Coulda been me in the path of that van crossing
the medium if I'd been there 30-40 seconds faster.

Made it back to Denver on Friday PM.  Been trying to sort out my life and get
the 6 tuned ever since, hence the tardy report.

The weather was much cooler on the return trip which allowed me to taken a more
southern route and avoid those *#&!#^ toll booths (where you sit and watch the
temp gauge rise).  Considering that I beat the crap out of it at the autocross I
was really pleased that the 6 made it there and back with absolutely no problems
that it didn't already have.  I'm having driving withdrawls since I'd gotten
used to the idea of driving 500+ miles per day for most of the last two weeks.

See ya in Portland next year and here in the Rockies the year after.

Bud