Re: TRF Summer Party Car Show

To: bill@cs.uofs.edu
Subject: Re: TRF Summer Party Car Show
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 17:36:16 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 09-Aug-99 09:28:56 Eastern Daylight Time, bill@cs.uofs.edu
writes:

> One curiosity though.  In front of the Coventry Inn was a TR5 that
>  had 2500 on the side and PI on the back.  I have never seen one of
>  these before.  But when I was in Europe, I had a friend with a
>  Triumph 2.5PI.  We always used to wonder about taking a TR6 or TR250
>  and putting the engine, trans and diff from the PI into it.  If I
>  understand what I saw (unfortunately, this car must be someones
>  transportation and wasn't in the show, so the hood was down and I
>  didn't get to see the engine) Triumph actually sold a car that was
>  exactly this.  Can anyone (like it's owner!) verify this to satisfy
>  my curiosity??

Bill, The TR5 was the model between the TR4 and the TR6.  The TR250 is the
TR5 as marketed and badged for the US.  The big difference was that the TR250
had a carburetor instead of the PI.  This had to do with US emission laws at
the time.  Nearly everything else was the same on the two cars except for the
badges and a stripe across the bonnet of the TR250.

The owner of TRF has a TR5.  That is probably what you saw.  Cheers.

Art Kelly

Art Kelly