Re:Terminal insanity?

To: "TR: John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re:Terminal insanity?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 09:22:05 -0400
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
jonmac writes:

>Friends
>
>Please tell me - is it really worth it? I spent an intriguing half hour
>today in
>the depths of the Gaydon Archives looking at a detailed site plan of the
>former factory which was drawn to scale between 1971 and 74.
>I'm beginning to sense the beginnings of Seasonal Affective
>Disorder - in other words, in less than six months it'll be b*****y
>Christmas all over again and I need a distraction to while away the winter
>evenings - apart from occasional posts to this august band of fellows.
>Anyway,
>with the site plan firmly gripped in my hand, I then found myself at a
jumbo
>photocopier (usually reserved for engineering drawings) and bingo, another
>copy was in my other hand.
>What's the purpose? Nothing really except that it seems a marginally good
>idea (AT THE MOMENT) to make a relief model of what I presently have on
>>paper. What ideas does anyone have for suitable materials (apart from
balsa,
>card and styrene) and is it really worth trying to compress 125 acres of
>land area onto a board measuring about 3 x 2
>feet?

How about a community project.  Various volunteers form the list could
fabricate the various buildings, car parks, trees, oil spills, etc and you
can incorporate them into the diarama.  What a way to build comraderie.

Just a thought.  I'll go back into my corner now.

>This is the size of the drawing currently in my possession. I
>certainly don't plan to have a larger board because the drawing is
perfectly
>OK detailwise in its current size and in describing what function was
>performed where. Moreover, when its finished - where am I going to put it?

I understand Joe Curry has a nice tent in Arizona.  ;-)

>Polite suggestions will be welcomed, I can imagine a few of the others
>without any help, thanks. If any UK listers can propose suitable book
titles
>on micro-modelling, I'd be more than a little grateful - together with the
>telephone number of a recommended shrink.

It could be worse.  You could be retired! 8->

>John Mac
>
>Book 1: http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/triumphbook
>Book 2: http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/crocus

Dave Massey