Re:Fuel System Problem TR6

To: Steve Coupe <coupe@efortress.com>, TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: Re:Fuel System Problem TR6
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 09:22:01 -0400
Steve Coupe writes:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I am having a problem with the engine of my 69 TR6 starving for fuel.  It
seems to be getting worse, to the point I can no longer use the car with
any
hope of getting home.

It seems to happen when the weather is above 85.  The car will run fine and
then not get any gas.  My first thought was vapor lock but this does not
appear to be the case.

In the past after letting the car sit for a while it would run fine,  no
longer the case, I let it sit for 4 hours today and it didn't get any
better.  If after shutting down I prime the mechanical fuel pump it will
run
for a few hundred feet.  Then if I pull out the choke it will run a short
distance further.

I thought the fuel filter or the screen in the pump might be clogged but
they look ok.  Couple of questions.  Should the fuel flow freely if I
disconnect the fuel line before the pump(blockage in the tank or line)?  If
the fuel pump primes ok does that mean it is working correctly?  Could the
fuel pump work ok sometimes but not others?

I am at a loss, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve Coupe
69 TR6
64 TR4
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Steve,

It is probably the fuel pump.  I had the same problem.  I could prime
it manually but  it would occasionally not pump when running.  The
priming lever has more "reach" than the cmashaft operated lever
and when things wear down the thing doesn't work.  The rest of
the pump is fine but it just isn't being pumped.

Here is a test to try:  Disconnect the fuel line from the carbs and place
the open end into a container to catch the fuel.  Crank the engine and
watch the fuel surging out of the fuel line.  There should be good,
healthy, distinct surges.  Now manually operate the prime lever and
watch for the same surges.  If you get good fuel flow from the prime
lever but not from the cranking then the fuel pump is worn out.

I replaced mine with an electric pump and have had no problem since.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6
80 TR8