Re: TR4's vs 6's

To: fogbro1@bellatlantic.net
Subject: Re: TR4's vs 6's
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:08:51 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 23-Jun-99 09:17:51 Eastern Daylight Time,
fogbro1@impop.bellatlantic.net writes:

> I thought all IRS TR4's were CTC and, therefore, no TR4 could have a CTC
>  prefix; but a 4A could be either. Am I mistaken?
>
>  Ed Woods

Ed, you are partially correct.  CTC means IRS.  TR4 comm numbers run from CT1
to CT40304 (NO CTC for TR4's).  All TR4's were "live axle" since the frame is
basically a widened TR3 frame.  No TR4's were ever built with IRS.

The TR4A frame is completely different.  That frame was specifically designed
to accomodate IRS in the rear.  The TR4A's run from comm numbers CTC 50001
(they skipped all the numbers between 40000 and 50001) BUT some North
American TR4A cars were equipped with "live axles."  Those so equipped have a
CT 50XXX comm number.  In other words, CTC on a TR4A signifies that the car
was built with IRS.  If a TR4A was configured with a "live axle" (for the N.
American market) the comm number will be CT 5XXXX.  Think about it and you'll
see that it makes sense - i.e. All TR4's have CT, most TR4A's have CTC but
some TR4A's (live axle) have CT.

BTW - the Brits never liked the "live axle" TR4A.  The TR4A IRS was, to the
Brit engineers, an improvement over the TR4 "live axle."  Triumph caved in to
much pressure from US dealers to produce "live axle" TR4A's.  If someone
wanted today to convert a "live axle" TR4A to IRS there is some work needed
because Triumph had to modify the new TR4A frame to (backwards - in their
opinion) accomodate the "live axle."  That mod has to be removed.  Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original oowner/factory pickup/daily driver)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant