RE: TR#a Wiring Question

To: "'Gano, Ken'" <kengano@advant.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR#a Wiring Question
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 10:09:00 -0700
Ken :

The diagram in the Haynes is for an early TR3, and is incorrect for your
(and my) TR3A.

The early cars used a center brake light (in combination with the license
plate light), and the turn signals were in the outer, teardrop shaped
lamps.  On later cars (I'm not sure of the change point, but it was
somewhere between 57 and 59, possibly at the same time as 3/3A), the brake
light was moved to the bright filament of the outer lamps, and the smaller
round lamps were added to serve as turn signals.  The wiring harness was
changed appropriately.

If you want, it should be possible to replace the turn signal sockets with
dual-filament ones (like the front turn signal/marker lamps), and connect
the tail lights to the dimmer filament.  I'm considering something similar
on my car (except that I want to have 4 brake lights instead of 4 tail
lights).

Randall