Spitfire "Spyder"?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire "Spyder"?
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 10:06:06 EDT
List,

I hope to close a deal on a decent '70 Spitfire MK3 soon.....the plan is to
keep it awhile until the 6 restoration is completed....then find a nice home
for it since the new garage isn't big enough for 2 LBCs...hmmmm or will it
be?

Anyway, a PO fitted a GT6 bonnet to it but attached - on bonnet & boot - is a
badge under the Triumph badge that says "Spyder".  It's a nice looking
chromed item and it appears to belong there by the way its fastened and
placed.  But, I don't ever remember seeing or hearing about a Spyder
option/model for the Spitfire - could it be a GT6 option or is it off of a
Fiat or something?

Also, the engine has SU's (75hp?) which I thought were replaced by a single
Stromberg in 1970 for USA?  Engine has a chromed valve cover that has the
same Spyder logo on it.  Car really runs strong with performance (single
flared pipe) exhaust.

TIA,

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (Being Reborn For Y2K)