Re: Gage Bezels

To: "David Brady" <dmb@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: Gage Bezels
From: "Ian Frearson" <frearji@montevallo.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 21:42:10 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
David, XK's Unlimited (xksunltd@aol.com , 1-800-444-5247) has new
replacement Smiths bezels (100mm chrome half-v, $5.95), as well as lenses
and retaining hardware. I haven't bought anything from them yet, but they
have a very nice free catalogue of new Smiths instruments.

I recently took apart my 1980 Spitfire's gauges for a good cleaning--does
anybody know what the crumbly black stuff is? Smiths seems to have sealed
the bezel and glass to the gauge body with something like either tar (!) or
perhaps some sort of rubber substance that has deteriorated... What is this
stuff? Does anybody know? I emailed CAI (who manufactures the new Smiths
instruments), but never got any response from them. Any instrument experts
out there?