Re: HELP - NEW MASTER CYLINDER LEAKS MORE THAN OLD

To: KMNTR6@aol.com
Subject: Re: HELP - NEW MASTER CYLINDER LEAKS MORE THAN OLD
From: George Osmundsen <gosmund@mail.jax.bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:51:47 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
KMNTR6@aol.com wrote:

> HELP!!!
>
> Last weekend the brake master cylinder on my 1974 TR6 started leaking all
> over the paint under my hood. It bubbled and peeled off. I decided to buy a
> BRAND NEW master cylinder from a vendor at a show I was attending. It was not
> cheap, but I thought that by replacing my leaky master cylinder with a new
> one, I would NEVER have the same problem ever again.
>
> I came home, removed the old master cleaned up, scraped, sanded, repainted
> under the hood, and put on the new master. I attached the two fittings. I
> thought I was ready to put in the Castrol and bleed the brakes. Well you know
> the rest it - started leaking at the point where the master attaches to the
> servo - right onto my new paint. I re-tightened all of my connections, still
> it leaks. I siphoned all of the Castrol that I could get out... and that is
> where I am right now. I need advise.
>
> a) did I install the master wrong?
> b) is the new master defective?
> c) is it the wrong part?
> d) HELP!!!!!
>
> Please let me know as soon. I would like to take care of this as soon as
> possible.
>
> Thanks
> Ken Nachman
> Richmond (VA) Triumph Register
Ken, it's a good idea to bench bleed a new or rebuilt M/C prior to
fitting to the car.  This is a simple process, and a kit with
instuctions is available for only a couple of bucks from most Auto Parts
stores, I got mine from Pep Boys.
This process makes final bleeding go quicker, gets all the parts wet
(especially good when dealing with rubber that may have been sitting
around for awhile), AND would show up any leaks at the back of the
cylinder BEFORE you install it thereby saving your paint.
Hope this helps.

Skip Osmundsen
'76 TR6
'60 TR3