RE: Rebuilding a TR3 distributor

To: drew@pixar.com
Subject: RE: Rebuilding a TR3 distributor
From: sanborn@net1plus.com
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 16:45:42 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

The cam in
>mine wiggles around quite a bit.

Drew,

I think it is normal for the advance mechanism to provide
some wiggle in the shaft.   Also the advance weights tend
to have some play in the stopped state.   What is not good
is an excessive amount of play in the shaft fit to the bush.

Don't know whether the bush needs to be custom reamed.  I
replaced the bushing that goes into the block that the oil
pump/distributor drive shaft sits in..... and that did not
need any fitting.

I was chasing an engine knocking noise last summer that had
me going down the same path as you and I ended up buying a
rebuilt dizzy for $300 in frustration..... it turned out to
be a broken right front engine mount that would knock metal-
to-metal when I laided on the power.

So make sure that the dizzy is really broken before you
start spending money.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L  Groton,MA
sanborn@net1plus.com