Re: Looking for an always "hot" wire

To: maineac@netquarters.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Looking for an always "hot" wire
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 23:33:54 EDT
In a message dated 4/25/99 11:13:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
maineac@netquarters.net writes:

>  Listers--
>
>  My final job on the TR6 before driving it this season is to get the radio
> work 100% as advertised.  I have a modern radio with a digital clock and "
> soft" presets (not mechanical, but electronic).  To keep all of these
things
> in its memory, the radio has a yellow wire that needs to connect to a
circuit
> that as always "hot".
>
>  I thought I had the perfect one with the switch for the interior
(courtesy)
> lights.  There's a purple and white wire that attaches to one side of the
> switch (and the bonus is there's an extra "lug" that I should attach that
> yellow wire to) with a black (ground) wire attached to the other side.  It
> seemed to me that the purple and white wire would always be hot so you
could
> turn the courtesy lights on without having to use the ign. key to
"activate"
> the circuits.  However, when I hook a continuity light up nothing happens.
I'
> m curious about where my neat little theory has run into the cold light of
> physics.  And also where there might be an available place to attach the
> yellow wire.  I'm about an hour away from having it out on the road, but
need
> to finish the radio installation before I declare victory.

Tom

Use any purple wire. Purple wires are always hot AND they are fused.

The purple/white wire you refer to is the ground switch for the lights. When
the doors open, the purple/white wire is grounded. The purple wires feed
power to the other side of the lamp.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/