Looking for an always "hot" wire

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Looking for an always "hot" wire
From: Tom Walling & Wendy Rose <maineac@netquarters.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 23:13:40 -0400
Listers--

My final job on the TR6 before driving it this season is to get the radio to
work 100% as advertised.  I have a modern radio with a digital clock and "soft"
presets (not mechanical, but electronic).  To keep all of these things in its
memory, the radio has a yellow wire that needs to connect to a circuit that as
always "hot".

I thought I had the perfect one with the switch for the interior (courtesy)
lights.  There's a purple and white wire that attaches to one side of the
switch (and the bonus is there's an extra "lug" that I should attach that
yellow wire to) with a black (ground) wire attached to the other side.  It
seemed to me that the purple and white wire would always be hot so you could
turn the courtesy lights on without having to use the ign. key to "activate"
the circuits.  However, when I hook a continuity light up nothing happens.  I'm
curious about where my neat little theory has run into the cold light of
physics.  And also where there might be an available place to attach the yellow
wire.  I'm about an hour away from having it out on the road, but need to
finish the radio installation before I declare victory.

TIA...  Tom Walling